Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Painful Slumber

I, as I believe I have said before, am not a huge fan of sleep. I think I appreciate it more now that I am older, but only at night. Lately I have been feeling like Sleep has become just something else to pass the time or something to do because there is nothing else I can do with my day. I don't know, sleep and I have never had the healthiest of relationships. I don't know if I actually have insomnia because I've never been tested, but It wouldn't surprise me. In any case, I have more or less excepted sleep even if my body has not. One thing I don't think I will ever be able to deal well with though are naps. Now of course the way naps usually work is somewhat like I have previously described sleep. That is to say, most every kid hates them but as they grow older, they learn to appreciate and miss them. Me on the other hand, nothin' doing. I still hate naps with a passion. They are the enomy and I will only admit defeat to them as an unfortunate result of mind-numbing bordom and no one around. Besides generally hating the idea of sleeping in the middle of the day, naps do bad things to my body, and I have known myself to do strange things during them. As far as I know, I am not a sleep walker, and I can not remember anyone ever telling me that I have ever spoken in my sleep. Although I did once laugh out loud in my sleep. Strange things I have done in my sleep though include shutting off an alarm, pulling my headphones from my ears and placing them neatly beside my CD player, and answering the phone. No joke here, I have woken up, phone in hand and someone in midsentence on the other end. I'm not really sure why the phone itself didn't wake me up, since the ring is so loud. The other reason I hate naps--because let's face it, we've all done something strange in our sleep at least once--is that they never feel good. I always hear people talk about how they feel good after a nap or that they feel refreshed. I never have such feelings. Clearly I am doing something wrong. That, or else they know I hate them. (growl) The most naps ever do for me is make me more tired or disoriented. Sometimes when I wake up from one of those unfortunate little devils I am completely disoriented and shaking uncontrolably. and my eyes bother me too. I really hate that feeling. But I think worst of all is when I wake up and hurt. Have you ever gone to sleep fine and then woke up in pain? I don't mean like you slept on your arm or slept on your shoulder wrong and I don't mean like serious pain either, I mean with your body just kind of achy. Eventually it will go away, but I will fall asleep feeling fine, then wake up just aking and feeling like I could use a good massage or something. It's pretty much aweful; I hate naps and they hate me back.

1 comment:

  1. Actually I can relate to you here. Naps tend to do that to me as well. If I sleep during the day I wake up disoriented and more tired. Sometimes I wake up sweating, like my whole body is just so hot and sticky and I may not have even been under the covers. That never happens to me at night, so I don't know what it is about naps, but they do suck. Nadine always says, "Take a nap." When I complain about being tired, but I always say no cause one it throws off my sleep cycle at night and two, ICK!

    ReplyDelete

Always happy to read what you have to say.